Saturday, October 30, 2010

God tells Israel to Destroy the Amalekites 1 Samuel 15:1-3

There are many who struggle with this passage, and understandably so.  It is a view of God in Western American culture that makes us quite uncomfortable.  As a Christian who finds total joy in the nature and character of God, I find joy and comfort in this passage for several reasons. 

1. God is actually bringing justice upon the wickedness of these people, and He has given them about 430 years to repent of their sin.  In Genesis 15:13-16 we find God telling Abraham that He is waiting until these people fill up the cup of their condemnation.  He tells Abraham that these people will persecute the nation of Israel for 400 years before He enacts justice upon them.  We read of the Amalekites treatment of Israel in Exodus 17:8 and Deuteronomy 25:17-18.  This went on for a long time! 

People struggle here because God is actually ordering the death of an entire group of people.  Why do we struggle with this idea?  If a person molested and killed several people, we would ask for his death as payment for what he did.  If a person brutally kills another person, we would call out for his death as well.  We embrace the “eye for an eye” thought process, and that is what we see here. 

2. God uses human and sinful people to enact justice.  I am so thankful that God has granted to us wise people who are set above us to determine what is right. Even though you might point out the flaws in the system, I would put our system up against any in the world as the best and most just system.  None is perfect, but some do a really good job. 

3. I also take sympathy with the innocent Amalekites.  Although I find great joy in the justice of God, my heart goes out to the women and children who were victims of the sin of their fathers.  Certainly, there were those who had never killed a Jewish person.  There were those who had never assaulted one of God’s people.  However, we know from life and Exodus 34:7-8 that the sin of our fathers greatly impacts us.  When generation after generation of sin goes on, it has a great impact on every part of that nation.  Look at our own nation!  The longer certain sins go on the more it will impact our children and their children.  This is a law in life and ought not to be our source of struggle. 

4. Finally, here is a picture of why I need Christ.  I am an Amalekite!  I have rebelled, I have sinned against God and the verdict and judgment are upon me as well.  God is going to enact justice for me sin and rebellion.  I am so thankful that God sent His Son to take the justice of God in my place.  If Christ did not take the punishment for my sin, death; I could not have life with God in heaven.  So just remember, as you read this passage, you should not struggle too much, for in it is the rationale for why Christ came and took your place.  You may just be arguing against the basis for your own salvation!

 

May Grace and Peace be with you this day! 

1 comment:

Meryl said...

Good points on a very difficult passage. I think our tendency when we first read this is to react, how can a loving God allow this to happen? We tend to separate God's love from His justice. We are Amalakites indeed...praise God for sending His Son to take this just punishment that I deserve! And now we as Christians need to "keep alert with all perseverance" (Eph. 6:18) lest we allow sin to rule into our lives.